Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Soul of Christ


Ohio Parishioners of Gesu Parish in University Heights and St. Gregory Parish in Shaker Heights reading this know that large groups of them began a 9-week Ignatian Retreat last night.

For them and for everyone here is the prayer that St. Ignatius of Loyola alluded to in his first edition of the Spiritual Exercises. This 14th-century prayer was that well-known. Later editions of the Spiritual Exercises printed it in its entirety.
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee.
From the malevolent Enemy defend me.
In the hour of death call me,
And bid me come unto Thee.
That with Thy saints I may praise Thee.
For ever and ever.
Amen.
A brief history of this prayer can help us appreciate more its popularity.
____________________________________________________________
Photo by Paco from Badajoz, Spain, is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License

No comments: